MAY 2020
As I often do, I overextended myself on the bike during my first month of riding. My first ride on May 8 totaled 15 minutes and 3.75 miles. While I was tired and sore, I rode again the next day for 15 minutes, but this time I covered 3.97 miles (progress!). I took the next day off and followed it up with 9 days of stupidity by riding every day. Time spent on the bike rose to 30 minutes by May 15 and I was riding 9 miles by the 19th. On the 20th, I was tire and sore. Too much, too soon.
At this point, I forced myself to slow down and work for a long term goal. To this end, I decided to ride for the same amount of time somewhere between 3-5 rides before adding another minute to my work out. This helped in several ways. First, my 55 years old body could better handle the stress that I was putting on it. Next, it kept me from plateauing too quickly. Therefore, I rode for 30 minutes on May 21, 23, 24, 26 and 27, before increasing it to 32 minutes on May 29.
By the end of May, I definitely getting stronger. I also notices that I was falling less.

Comments
Post a Comment